Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Snow in Africa

While it is extremely rare at low elevations, it can snow in Africa. People rarely think of mountains let alone snow capped mountains when they think of Africa so I thought I'd post this public photo of the Drakensberg Mountains of southern Africa. This is another Southern Hemisphere area that gets their Winter in the middle of the year. I was intrigued when I saw a documentary where they were mentioning how a tribe in Africa heats their homes in the Winter. Also I found out that there are ski resorts in both Africa and Australia; enough to count on one hand but still...
File:Maluti.jpg
Drakensberg Mountains, Wikimedia Commons
And then there is North Africa and the Atlas Mountains pictured below. The coldest temperature recorded in Africa was -11F in Ifrane, Morocco pictured below:


Ifrane, Morocco (Wikimedia Commons)

Ifrane, Morocco (Wikimedia Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment