Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Are "Autistic" people really Autistic?

       This article someone posted on a blog yesterday seems to suggest the common belief that Autism is over-diagnosed. I feel that like most conditions it is both over and under diagnosed. Before I was diagnosed there were countless tests and examinations done over a period of years. I don't want people misunderstanding this and thinking that anyone labeled "Autistic" who doesn't seem that way at first glance is just making up a diagnosis to excuse bad behavior. Autism is real and it can take very subtle forms. I can at least partially empathize with people's scepticism, although I think we need to keep our judging of the "validity of an individual's Autism" up to God and the people that know that person best. As for the article I feel it's a good read and the person makes some valid points:
http://www.futurehealth.org/populum/diarypage.php?f=Are-you-Autistic-Maybe-b-by-111219-937.html
     

No comments:

Post a Comment