Saturday, January 21, 2012

Visual-Spatial

       Here's another group of "categories". There are different patterns in learning styles. Just like many other labels these are probably valid patterns but may not be so cut-and-dry in real life. I was told several times as a result of standardized testing that I am a visual-spatial learner and on one test I remember seeing that is my biggest strength. From what I understand about learning styles I find this very believable even though I'm not 100% sure what it all entails.
       This website seems to explain it with a neat little comparison on the bottom of the page: http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatial_Learner/vsl.htm. Wikipedia's take on this seems to be a little more objective: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_thinking. When I looked at the first website being a "visual thinker" myself I naturally went right to that nice (though a little simplistic) comparison chart I mentioned above that lists the traits of auditory and visual thinkers. For the most part the traits on the "visual" side sound like me but there are a few exceptions.
       Dr. Temple Grandin, the Autistic writer whom I have mentioned several times has a book called "Thinking in Pictures". Aside from a little skimming at Barnes and Nobles a long time ago I never read the book but thought I'd point it out. I don't necessarily see things the way Temple Grandin does either as we are all individuals. I also don't want to imply that everyone on the Autistic spectrum "thinks in pictures" or is a visual-spatial thinker. I just want to draw attention to different styles of learning.