Friday, January 20, 2012

I found some good news... and some more good news...

       On this snowy Winter night I thought I'd do a Google search for some good news. It seems bad news always travels farther than good. Now I can be all for "telling it like it is" depending on how people use that term, and I realize that it is necessary to call a spade a spade at times. An often overlooked part of "telling it like it is" however is mentioning the positive. In my search I found a couple sites. I don't know much about them as I didn't take the time to read them. I also don't want to endorse anything until I know more about what they stand for but this site looks like a good example since there are sections for different topics: http://www.happynews.com/ My point is not about this particular site, but for people to take a moment to Google for something positive for a change instead of looking for confirmations for the latest conspiracy theory, doomsday prophesy, public sex scandal, celebrity D.U.I., or some health scare.
       I've been following news and listening to informational shows since I was a child. I've heard many predictions about disasters, the economy, war... some came true- some didn't. Thinking of the good things that happened over the years, our economic booms, advances in medicine, the convenience of microwave ovens, unlimited Internet for the common folk, smartphones that can practically tap dance... it just seems that many "prophets" rarely bother to try and predict stuff. I mean it's not that good news makes and impact but people seem to be more interested when there's speculation of some of the things I mentioned above causing Cancer. There also seems to be an element in the media that loves to burst bubbles and tell us smugly that some popular food that people thought was healthy can increase the odds of getting Alzheimer's or something. Perhaps if people paid more attention to hopeful news, we may start to hear more of it. I mean this is a free market- at least where I live.