Saturday, January 21, 2012

Changing the way one looks at things:

       While I've mentioned how I can be rather jaded when it comes to self-help gurus and motivational speaker stuff, I can always make an exception. Dr. Wayne Dyer had some good stuff out years ago, particularly before he jumped on the New Age bandwagon. I remember him saying "Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change." (This website explains this perspective pretty well: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creative-thinkering/201108/change-the-way-you-look-things-and-the-things-you-look-change)I can definitely agree with that, even though it may seem to contradict things I wrote in recent posts. It's just that sometimes the "self-help" or popular psychology community sometimes takes it too far. I believe in silver linings and seeing glasses as half full, but changing a definition doesn't change a dog into a cat. This is why we need to think carefully and critically instead of thinking in terms of just catchy slogans.