Monday, January 9, 2012

Teens with Autism learning to drive:

       There is a new study that is trying to see how being on the Autistic spectrum can affect a teens ability to drive. http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/09/4173404/new-study-probes-how-teens-with.html I guess that is understandable, but I sure don't want to see teens refused a license just because they have a diagnosis. I know teens tend to get in more accidents, but I think that has just as much to do with rebellion, peer pressure, and showing off than it does with disabilities or anything else. There is also inexperience, but people have to start somewhere. I'm not saying all Autistic people should be able to drive, some can't, but I feel that should be determined on an individual basis. I've been driving for 18 1/2 years and have a good driving record including driving in several major cities (only if I have to). The only city I really don't care to drive in is Boston- unless it's 4 in the morning. Although I'm on the spectrum I passed my test on my second try and the only difference is that I was a little more cautious than average (which many young people tend to perceive as a fault)
       Perhaps one could make a case that some on the milder end of the Autism spectrum might even be better drivers. Many people with Aspergers for example have logical minds, good memories, are obsessive about following rules (unlike many other teens), are honest about their limitations, and are not big on risk taking. These traits can make a relatively safe driver. (Also if someone comes off as timid about driving at first, it doesn't necessarily mean they are a dangerous or incompetent driver. It's certainly safer than over-confidence.) I'm not saying every one with Aspergers is like this but it is something to think about. People can do studies all they want and that's all great, I just don't want to see people profiled with an overly broad brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment