Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dear Mr. Groundhog (or Woodchuck),

       Thank you for helping us all out in predicting the weather. I understand you are among some of the most intelligent animals around. Just do me a favor and tell your "people" to go easy on my backyard when spring does arrive. I don't mind them taking a few nibbles here and there if there is a drought or something, but some of the damage done to our plants is costing my family a fortune in both time and money. There is plenty of dandelion and clover outside out property line for them to munch on. Happy Groundhog Day...
File:RK 0808 273 Marmota monax.jpg
Marmota Monax, posted by Reinhard Kraasch
on Wikimedia Commons, 2008

More on this rather sophisticated mammal: http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/woodchuck.htm
(They even build their own private restrooms underground...)